Wednesday, September 11, 2013

"A Song of the Righteous is a Prayer Unto Me"

I'm not going to pretend that I'm a huge music fanatic because I'm not. I don't like sitting there and analyzing every pitch and tempo to every beat I hear. But I do appreciate music. And the past couple of days I've been making a playlist for the mission. 

The guidelines in my Call Packet is this:

"Appropriate music can be a powerful source of inspiration. Missionaries should select music that is consistent with the sacred spirit of their calling. Music should be used to invite the Spirit, provide spiritual motivation, help focus on the work, and direct thoughts and feelings to the Savior. Missionaries should not listen to music that distracts, that merely entertains, that has romantic lyrics or overtones, or that dulls spiritual sensitivity by its temp, beat loudness, lyrics or intensity."

I've done dome real digging and I think I've finally have come up with a (tentative) playlist that I wanna bring. So for those of you that are either curious/interested or are struggling to find "mission appropriate" music this is what I've come up with.

The Lower Lights
I love them! This group may possibly be my favorite. Their hymn arrangements are so unique I feel like they have kinda an indie vibe to them. They're great.
        


Page CXVI
This group also has a very unique approach to the hymns but I love them, they're a little bit more upbeat. They only have a few hymns but they're great.



Vocal Point
This BYU A Capella group just released a CD "Lead Me Thou On" that is filled with hymns. Plus its a bunch of attractive spiritual guys singing haha I don't think it can get much better than that!



RM Sound Track
I don't know if this music is too "up beat" or whatever for the mission but if its allowed I have already decided that this is the music I will be listening to while I'm doing my pinterest workouts every morning!



Rebecca Mohler
She is also a sister missionary serving in Cleveland Ohio and her Music is beautiful. I love her voice because its a little bit softer and its not so "in your face". It makes her really unique.



BYU Mens Chorus
Like I said, it doesn't get much better than listening to Men's voices. But you can download their entire "Set Apart" album for free here.

Errand of Angles Soundtrack
Honestly I think any soundtrack of any of those movies (you know Singles Ward, Mormons and Mobsters ect.) are just fabulous. Some of them have really great hymn arrangements. This song in particular is one of my favorite.



Pleasant Pictures
Their album "Music for My King" Has a ton of revised hymns. When I listen to their music the first word that pops into my head is enchanted. Its got kinda a "mystical" vibe, but I think their music is great.



Youth Music
On the LDS website (lds.org) they have a whole page dedicate to spiritual uplifting youth music. It has a mix of a variety of artist (Hilary Weeks, Jenny Phillips ect.) and the best part, You can download all of the music for FREE. Here is the link

Okay so here's the truth I have no idea what the specific rules are in my mission. Some of my friends are allowed to listen to anything spiritual and Disney Music. On the other hand I have friends that are only allowed to listen to hymns sung by The Mormon Tabernacle Choir. So until I find out what exactly I can and can't bring, I will continue to add and search for music that I personally think fits with in the mission guidelines.. but just in case I'll bring my MOTAB Cd :)

If you want to listen to the rest of my missionary playlist here it is

No comments:

Post a Comment